became the capital of Montenegro in 1945.
Not only are the Government and Parliament located here, but
the town is also an economic, cultural, social and educational
center with important faculties of the university and theaters. Many
companies have located their headquarters in Podgorica. To fulfill
all these demands it was necessary to rebuild the town, which was
completely destroyed in World War II, and very quickly. For many it
happened too quickly. Almost nothing reminds one of the old
was founded more than 2000 years ago. Even today one can still
follow the footsteps of the Romans, who built the town of Doclea
here. While Doclea served as the
headquarters for the Emperor of the Prevalis province, Byrziminium,
just a few kilometers south, had more the character of a trading
the 9th century immigrant slavs came into power in the
region. They founded the town and state of Duklja in the area of
Byrziminiums. In their Golden Age they were ruling over the Zeta and
Moraca valleys, the region around Lake Skadar and parts of the coast.
The Turks turned Podgorica, which was its name since 1474, into a
real fortress. They stayed until 1879. In 1946, after the creation
of Yugoslavia, the town was named Titograd. In 1992 it got its old
name back, Podgorica.